Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Serving-Up A Turkey and High School Football Feast


Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Tomorrow is one of my favorite days of the year when tradition reigns supreme in high school football. Yes, it truly is a day when records are thrown out the window and two teams battle for pride and bragging rights.

Some 40-years ago I attended my first-ever high school game, and can remember it like it was yesterday. The game was between my alma mater Wilson and it's hated Turkey Day rival Nazareth. The game then was played around 10 in the morning at Lehigh University's Taylor Stadium, which was a big treat for not only the players, but the fans. Kinda made you feel that you were in the big leagues.

Wilson and Nazareth no longer play each other, which saddens me, but there is talk of renewing the rivalry next year. Click here for that story from the Express-Times.

After freezing my butt off at Wilson and Nazareth, my parents then took me back to Lafayette College in Easton where I watched Easton battle Phillipsburg in the Battle of the Delaware. Two years ago, the Pennsylvania and New Jersey rivals played their 100th game in front of a national TV audience on ESPN.

Ahhh, the memories of watching two games within a six hour period! Helped build-up healthy appetite for the Thanksgiving meal!

Over the next couple of days, I'm going to be posting stories from around the country about the best Turkey Day high school football traditions.

Enjoy and don't eat too much!!

Jeff

No comments:

Footlocker.com